I feel like, all in all, I had a better year in 2013 when it came to movies/series vs. books. There weren’t that many that made my “worst” list so that’s definitely a good thing! I still have not seen Downton Abbey season 4 (waiting for the DVD release), in case you’re wondering why it’s not on any of the lists.
1. Much Ado About Nothing- This was the 1993 version with Kenneth Branagh. I watched this shortly after reading the play for the first time to help my brother with an English paper. I really enjoyed the play so I decided to watch the film and loved it! The only low point was Keanu Reeves- I don’t know what they were thinking casting him.
2. Call the Midwife Season 2- Although the series really started to stray from the books (they had to, as they used up all the storylines), I’m always happy when a sequel is not a let-down. The one thing about this show that kind of bothers me (but not really), is that Jenny remains by far the least interesting character.
3. Berkeley Square- Purchased this series from Amazon after it kept popping up on the list of suggested items to check out. It’s about nannies in Edwardian London. It was a delightful soap opera slightly reminiscent of Downton Abbey. Very disappointed that it ended on somewhat of a cliffhanger but the series was cancelled due to poor ratings. Apparently it had scheduling conflicts when it aired so no one ever knew when it was on. Such a shame.
4. Lark Rise to Candleford- I watched the entire series and while it was all good, the first season was the best. Why is that the case with so many shows?
5. Catching Fire- Amazing adaptation. I may have liked it even more than the book.
6. Frozen- I could take or leave the 3D animation, but I was happy to see a Disney princess movie where romance is not the main focus (I haven’t seen Brave, but I’m told it’s similar in that regard).
7. Saving Mr. Banks- I’m not a big Mary Poppins fan or anything but I loved this movie! Whether it was accurate or not I don’t know- but it all looked great and the performances were amazing!
8. The Call- I rented this really late in the year even though I had wanted to see it in theaters. Too bad that I waited! I really enjoyed seeing a thriller with women in the main roles.
9. Prisoners- It was a little too long but I was still glued to the screen.
10. The Paradise (seasons 1 and 2)- I had a few issues with this series (namely, the behavior of the lead characters at times) but I loved it all the same.
1. Man of Steel- I was really looking forward to this because it looked really good in all the trailers. But the movie was, sadly, pretty horrible. I didn’t have any problems with the acting, but I hated the storyline. And the fight scenes were awful- got pretty redundant once the 50th building was destroyed.
2. Olympus Has Fallen- I had no interest in this and only went to see it because my boyfriend wanted to. Unfortunately I have to let him pick the movies sometimes too. It was very stupid and cheesy, just like I expected. Did anyone else find it funny that the all-American hero was played by a Scottish man, and yet the North Korean terrorist was played by an American???
3. The Paperboy- Rented this because it seemed like an interesting story. It was not. I had no idea what was going on half the time and it was just….really bizarre.
4. Game of Thrones Season 3- What’s this? My favorite book in the series and the TV version of it is on my worst list? I did not hate this series, but it was, on the whole, a disappointment to me. As I said, it was my favorite book in the series so far. But I found the season to be on the boring and draggy side. It had a lot of good scenes in it, still, but I felt like the decision to split the book into two led to a lot of filler. Hopefully the second half (season 4) will be better.
5. Marvel’s Agents of Shield (first half of season 1)- I was really looking forward to this show because I love The Avengers and the related films. But the show has been a disappointment. I would actually like it a lot more if they got rid of the annoying and useless Skye because I like all the other characters.
That’s it for my least favorites. I didn’t hate the last two- they were just disappointments compared to what I was expecting.